When looking for a delicious food to snack on during the day or for a sweet treat at breakfast time, this pumpkin cranberry nut bread is sure to please! With so many added health benefits, on top of being simply exquisite there is no reason not to make this bread recipe.
Start by gathering the following ingredients and utensils.
2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Salt
Â½ t Ground Cinnamon
Â½ t Ground Cloves
Â½ t Ground Ginger
â…“ C Canola Oil
Â¾ C Natural Sugar
1 T Natural Sugar
2 Large Eggs (at room temperature)
1 C Canned Pure Pumpkin Puree
1 Â½ t Grated Lemon Peel
1 t Vanilla Extract
Â½ C Plain Nonfat Yogurt
Â½ C Skim Milk
1 C Walnuts (chopped) (optional – can substitute another nut if desired)
Â½ C Cranberries (dried)
Nonstick Baking Spray
Loaf Baking Pan (any size)
Once everything is gathered follow the directions for the preparation and creation of the recipe.
1. In order to be fully prepared for making this bread it is extremely helpful to pre-measure ingredients as much as possible. This includes pulling the eggs out ahead of time so they are room temperature, measuring the flour, chopping the nuts, etc., and makes the mixing process go by quite quickly!
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl (this includes the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground ginger).
2. Add Canola oil and stir.
3. Add sugar and stir.
4. Add vanilla and stir
Tip: Vanilla adds a great, sweet flavor to almost any baked good!
5. Crack eggs and stir them in one at a time.
6. Add pumpkin puree and stir.
Tip: With the pumpkin and all of the other spices, this is definitely a bread that is a favorite to make in the fall, and around the holidays!
7. In a small bowl, mix up the yogurt so it is no longer separated (make sure all of the liquid is incorporated with the actual yogurt).
8. Add the skim milk to the small bowl of yogurt and whisk the two ingredients together using a small fork or whisk.
9. Add the yogurt and milk mix into the larger bowl of the other already added ingredients.
10. Add lemon peel, walnuts (or other nut if desired), and cranberries (the amount of cranberries added is suggested, but not a science. Add more or less depending on desired taste).
Tip: If chocolate is usually used in quick bread recipes, try switching it for cranberries! Adding cranberries to almost any chocolate bread recipe is a healthy and nutritious swap!
Tip: If walnuts are not wanted, pecans are another delicious nut that go great with this recipe!
11. Coat the loaf baking pan with some nonstick spray.
12. Pour batter into the pan so it comes about Â¾ of the way to the top of the pan and smooth down the top.
13. Pour/spread about a tablespoon of sugar across the top. This adds a sweet crust coating to the top of the bread.
14. Bake in an oven set to 350 degrees fahrenheit for about 50 minutes to one hour (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
15. Once out of the oven wait, until the bread is completely cooled to pull it out of the pan.
Tips: There are an abundance of great health benefits with so many quick bread recipes, including this one! A lot of protein and fiber is incorporated into the recipe without it tasting like a typical health food. Ground cloves are known to have a medicinal benefit. Ground ginger is known to have warming properties and help with digestion. Ground cinnamon helps regulate Type Two Diabetes blood sugar levels. Plus they taste great mixed into this recipe and any other!
Once the loaf of bread is cooled and pulled out of the pan it can be sliced thinly. This recipe is perfect for any time of day, breakfast or a late afternoon snack! It is definitely a delicious way to please anyone!